Thursday, April 19, 2012

Crash!!!

On Saturday Derrick went golfing with his dad.  He lost his keys.  He searched for over an hour before coming home.  We were going to head back out so I could help him look at the 18th hole and check the place they stopped to eat when his dad called to say they had found them.  We decided to go get them and visit for a bit.  We love that they are so close and that we are able to spend time with them. 
It had been raining most of the afternoon.  On the way home, Derrick hit a puddle on the freeway and hydro-planed.  He started going right and crossed two lanes and then he over corrected and hit the cement median with the front and then the car bounced off and hit the back end on the median.
SCARY!!!   I am not sure if Easton was sleeping when it happened or if he was knocked out when the back end hit or what, but he didn't make a sound for at least a minute.  Derrick and I were both yelling his name over and over before he finally started to cry.  I have never been so terrified in my life.  As soon as he cried I felt like I could breathe again.  I got out and grabbed Madi while Derrick grabbed Easton.
A sweet couple pulled over and let us sit in their car while UHP came.  Derrick had to stay and fill out paperwork so they took me and the kids home.  The whole way home, Madi kept saying "Don't drive faster." between panicked sobs.  It broke my heart.  Then, for the next two days, she kept asking "What daddy do to my car?"
On Monday we went to clean out our car since it was most likely totaled (still waiting on confirmation that it is but UHP, the tow guy and the lot guy all said it was).  Madi was freaking out.  She was crying uncontrollably the whole time we were there.  I had no idea it would effect her like that or we would have never taken her.  Anytime we have get in the car she grips her car seat and repeats over and over "Don't drive faster." I wish I could help her understand.
Here is our car at the lot.  They tried to pick up the big pieces off the freeway...
No of us were seriously hurt.  Easton and Madi both have a couple small bruises were there car seat straps were.  Derrick has some scratches on his arm and I have a bruise were the seat belt was.  Here is a picture of my seat belt bruise (except it was all down my front and across my lap/hips).  I also have a bruised foot and hand.  I am so very grateful for a safe car and safe car seats.  I am grateful for a Heavenly Father that watches over and protects my family.  This could have been so much worse and I am just so thankful it wasn't more serious.  

No comments:

Post a Comment