Thursday, March 15, 2012

Two surgeries???

So I have not blogged for almost a month and I am SOOO behind.  First, an update on me.  I have finally gotten off the couch and been able to get some things done.  I got my results back from my nerve test and my MRI.  I have severe carpal tunnel in my wrists and three herniated discs in my lower back.  The pain was getting worse and worse so, I went to a pain management clinic a week ago.  I got an epidural and I am pretty sure it was the best thing I've done all year!  It's not a labor epidural and was a piece of cake.  It was easier than a flu shot and hurt less too.  They sedated me and then numbed the injection site before doing the epidural.  The relief came right away and lasted a few hours before wearing off.  The next day the injection sites (I had three epidurals) were sore and I had a small amount of pain in my leg if I was up too much and my leg tingled some but for the most part it was feeling so much better.  Each day I have been able to do a little more and be up a little longer which has been so nice.  On Tuesday I started to feel the pain move to the right side.  I can feel it in my butt and if I am up too long then it starts down the back of my leg.  No worries though.  I scheduled an epidural for the right side on the 30th (the doctor is at conferences until then).  I am hoping that they continue working, at least for awhile.
I have a sinus infection (surprise, surprise) so I talked to Sandra, my doctor, about shots versus surgery while I was there Monday.  She actually has two herniated discs, so she talked to me about what she is doing.  It is a fairly new procedure called radio frequency therapy.  They insert needles and send heat waves through them to temporarily deaden the nerve to ease the pain and burn away the tissue that has come out of the disc.  It takes several treatments, but over time, it gives the same results as surgery, with little to no recovery time.  Super duper fantastic!  Sign me up!  So, I am going to try this and hope and pray it works so that I won't need surgery. 
As for the wrists, I think that I am going to wait until next year for the surgery.  We are going to switch insurances and the cost will be about half the price of what it would be this year.  So, no surgeries for me, at least not for awhile. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment